Job title: Copyeditor
Location: Hybrid remote in London (2 days working in our London office)
Salary range: £30,000–34,000 per year (for flexible working hours, this will be pro rata based on 40 hours per week)
Closing date: 17 December 2023
We are recruiting for a copyeditor/proofreader.
Tate & Clayburn (tateandclayburn.co.uk) provides creative and high-quality editorial, writing, design and consultancy services to a broad range of clients in the UK and globally. We’re keen to welcome a talented English-language editor and proofreader to our growing in-house team.
You’ll become a key member of a team of dynamic and passionate professionals committed to delivering creative, thoughtful work of outstanding quality. You’ll work on a varied portfolio of projects and clients. You’ll edit and proofread texts ranging from reports, news articles and magazines to academic books and papers, social media posts and marketing copy. Your role will involve exposure to clients ranging from major multinational brands, national government and international organisations to individual writers and academics at the forefront of their fields.
We offer a stimulating and fast-paced working environment combined with a firm focus on our team’s development and well-being. The role will be hybrid, with two days per week at our London office, and flexible working arrangements are available.
Your role will involve:
- Copyediting and proofreading a wide range of documents in English to the highest standard.
- Reviewing other editors’ and proofreaders’ work.
- Responding to editorial queries from freelance editors and proofreaders.
- Assisting the Senior Editor to maintain our editorial style guides and client briefs.
- Liaising with clients about editorial projects.
- Helping to run and improve our quality management system.
- Tracking and recording editorial project progress.
- Participating in our regular team meetings, covering a range of aspects of the business, and contributing ideas for broader business success and growth.
You will have:
- At least two years’ full-time equivalent experience as a copyeditor and/or proofreader in English.
- A meticulous eye for detail and a passion for all things editorial.
- Outstanding knowledge of and sensitivity to English grammar, style and editorial conventions, including multiple varieties of English (UK and US as a minimum).
- The ability to review other team members’ work and check edited and proofread documents against complex style guides.
- Excellent time-management and prioritisation skills and the ability to deliver projects on schedule without compromising quality.
- The sensitivity to communicate with clients and colleagues with diplomacy and tact.
- Enthusiasm for a wide range of editorial tasks.
- The ability to take a creative and thoughtful approach to your work.
- Openness to constructive feedback and continuous improvement.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Google Docs and Adobe Acrobat Reader (including review features).
What we offer
Although we’re a small and hard-working team, we’re committed to our value of generosity and our belief in the importance of a healthy work–life balance. You’ll benefit from:
- Flexible working hours – we’ll discuss your needs with you before we hire you and suggest a package based on these.
- Hybrid working (London office and working from home).
- Employer contributions to your workplace pension that are twice the statutory amount.
- An extra day off on your birthday.
- Regular team lunches and activities.
- Cycle-to-work and tech schemes.
How to apply
If you would like to apply for this role, please send your CV to [email protected] with the subject line ‘Copyeditor application’, attaching your CV and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Are you happy to regularly commute to our office in King’s Cross (London) for this role?
- What do you think makes an excellent editor?
- How do you make sure you’re meticulously organised and prioritise tasks? Please tell us about any tools that you’ve used and why you found them helpful.
- Could you tell us about a challenging edit or proofread you’ve worked on? Why was it challenging and how did you rise to the challenge?
- Why are you excited about this role and how does it fit into your career ambitions?
The deadline for applications is 17 December 2023.
Tate & Clayburn is firmly committed to being an equal opportunities employer. We will carefully consider all applications on professional merit, regardless of race, gender identity, disability, age, religion, or sexual orientation, and we have designed our recruitment process with the aim of ensuring that all qualified candidates will feel welcome to apply. If you would like to discuss access needs and reasonable adjustments further, please contact [email protected]